About Tackle Rugby
Updated Saturday February 15, 2020 by CJRA.
Our goal is to provide a pathway for our players to be involved with rugby from elementary school through into high school.
We have established a strong introductory touch rugby program and now are focused on transitioning our players from touch to tackle through our Summer and Fall Camps.
We think that growing rugby at grassroots is essential to developing a strong high school program and providing an opportunity for girls and boys to be hooked on rugby for the rest of their lives.
CJRA offers seasonal tackle rugby in both winter and spring as well as offering Summer and Fall Camps and Scimmages
All our clubs are divicde into age/grade teams. Our divisions are
- Rookie: (uually 8 and under, 2nd and 3rd graders)
- Prep: (usually 10 and under, 3rd-5th graders)
- Middle School JV: (usually 12 and under, 5th-7th graders and 8th grade girls)
- Middle School Varsity: (usually 14 and under, 7th and 8th grade boys only)
We say "usually" because we make exception for players to play up or down to ensure size/ experience fairness as much as possible.
Below are the teams that competed in the 2019/2020 Winter Season. Our community club programs continue into the spring.
Middle School Based Teams:
- Bailey Broncos: Practice on Wednesdays from 4:30-6:30pm at the school. Open to boys and girls that attend BMS in 6th-8th grades.
- Carmel Cougars: Practice on Tuesdays from 5:00-7:00pm at the school. Open to boys that attend Carmel MS in 7th-8th grades.
- McClintock Mighty Scots: Practice on Tuesdays from 4-6pm at the school. Open to boys and girls that attend McCMS in 6th -8th grades.
- Quail Hollow Falcons: Practice on Mondays and Wednesdays from 4-5pm at the school. Open to boys and girls that attend SCMS in 6th – 8th grades.
- South Charlotte Shockers: Practice on Mondays and Wednesdays from 4-5pm at the school. Open to boys and girls that attend SCMS in 6th – 8th grades.
(any player who is registered for a school team may attend any community club practice)
Community Based Teams (open to any ES and MS students):
- Cornelius/ Huntersville Cobras: Practice on Wednesdays from 4:30 to 6:30pm at Bailey MS. Open to any boys and girls in 2nd– 8th grades.
- Ballantyne Pumas: Practice on Tuesdays from 6-8pm at the British International School field in Ballantyne. Open to any boys and girls in 2nd – 8th grades.
- MGLA Jaguars : Practice on Tuesdays from 4:30-6:30pm at MGLA (Marie G, Davis School in lower South End). Open to boys and girls in 2nd – 8th grades.
- Matthews Mustangs/Bears/Sharks: Practice on Wednesdays from 6-8pm at MARA (Arthur Goodman Park in Matthews). Open to boys and girls in 2nd – 8th grades.
- Rock Hill Rhinos: Practice on Wednesdays from 6-8pm at Oakwood Acres Park - 2100 Montclair Ave, Rock Hill. Open to boys and girls in 2nd – 8th grades.
- South Charlotte Irish: Practice on Mondays from 5-7pm at the Boys and Girls Club on Marsh Rd. in South Charlotte. Open to boys and girls in 6th-8th grades
High School Teams:
- Charlotte Tigers
CJRA operate one full high school rugby program based at The British International School. The program is open to boys and girls in 9th-12th grade. The program will be split into JV (9th/10th) and Varsity teams (11th/12th). The Tigers practice every Tuesday and Thursday 4:30-6:30pm.
The Charlotte Tigers Rugby Club is a premier high school community rugby program that competes in the NCYRU State competition as well as playing nationally ranked teams from around the country.